Melanic pigmentations (MP) are dark stains located on the masticatory mucosa. These pigmentations are consequence of the excess of melanin production by the melanocytes located in the basal layer of the epithelium, between epithelial cells and connective tissue cells. The MP of the periodontium are the results of the melanin granules transfer from the melanocytes to the keratinocytes, in a process called epidermal melanin. This study aims to report a clinical case of dermabrasion for treatment of gingival melanin hyper pigmentation of a female patient, 21 years of age, non smoker, under orthodontic treatment and without systemic alterations. This patient attended the Clinic of Specialization in Periodontics of the Brazilian Association of Dentistry (ABO) with the aesthetic of her smile as the chief complain, due to the excess of melanin on the gingival tissues, in the anterior superior region. The epithelial dermabrasion technique, with hand tools, promoted aesthetic results on the melanic depigmentation.
2. Olson RL, Gaylor J, Everett MA. Skin color, melanin and erythema. Arch Dermatol. 1973;108(4):541.
3. Hirschfeld I, Hirschfeld L. Oral pigmentation and a method of removing it. J Oral Surg. 1951;4(8):1012-6.
4. Bergamaschi O, Kon S, Doine AI, Ruben MP. Melanin repigmentation after gingivectomy: a 5-year clinical and transmission electron microscopic study in humans. Int J Periodontics Restorative Dent. 1993;13(1):85-92.
5. Fuji T, Baehni PC, Kawai O, Kwawkomi T, Matsuda K, Kowashi Y. Scanning electron microscopic study of the Er: YAG laser on root cementum. J Periodontol. 1998;69: 1283-90.
6. Yeh CJ. Cryosurgical treatment of melanin-pigmented gingiva. Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod. 1998;86(6):660-3.
7. Sheetra KA, Joann PG, Prabhuji MLV, Lazarus F. Cryosurgical treatment of gingival melanin pigmentation- A 30 month follow up case report. Clin Adv Perio. 2012; 2:73-8.
8. Shafer WG, Hine MK, Levy BM. Text Book of Oral Pathology. Philadelphia: WB Saunders Co. 1984;89-136.
9. Bahadure RN, Singh P, Jain E, Khurana H, Badole G. Management of pigmented gingiva in child patient: a new era to the pediatric dentistry. Int J Clin Pediatr Dent. 2013;6(3):197-200.
10. Kaushik N, Srivastava N, Kaushik M, Gaurav V. Efficacy of different techniques of gingival depigmentation: a comparative evaluation with a case report. Int J Laser Dent. 2013; 3(2):68-72.
11. Ozturan S, Usumez A. Case report. A esthetic treatment of gingival hyperpigmentation by Er:YAG laser. J Laser Health Acad. 2013; 1:52-4.
12. Fekrazad R, Chiniforush N. One visit providing desirable smile by laser application. J Lasers Med Sci. 2014; 5(1):47-50.
13. Giannelli M, Formigli L, Lasagni M, Bani D. A new thermographic and fluorescent method for tuning photoablative laser removal of the gingival epithelium in patients with chronic periodontitis and hyperpigmentation. Photomed Laser Surg. 2013;31(5):212-8.
14. Bakhshi M, Rahmani S, Rahmani A. Lasers in esthetic treatment of gingival melanin hyperpigmentation: a review article. Lasers Med Sci. 2015 nov;30(8):2195-203.
15. Lin YH, Tu YK, Lu CT, Chung WC, Huang CF, Huang MS, et al. Systematic review of treatment modalities for gingival depigmentation: a random-effects poison regression analysis. J Esthet Restor Dent. 2014 may-jun; 26(3):162-78.
16. Kasagani SK, Nutalapati R, Mutthineni RB. Esthetic depigmentation of anterior gingiva. A case series. N Y State Dent J. 2012 apr;78(3):26-31.
17. Roshna T, Nandakumar K. Anterior esthetic gingival depigmentation and crown lengthening: report of a case. J Contemp Dent Pract. 2005 aug.15;6(3):139-47.
18. de Souza Fonseca, Ricardo Roberto, et al. "Peeling gengival e a estética periodontal." Revista Digital APO 1.1 (2017): 24-28.
CONFLICT OF INTERESTS
The authors declare no conflicts of interest
CONFLITO DE INTERESSES
Os autores declaram não haver conflitos de interesse